This No.115 of Jeroen Hilhorst has been sold.
Jeroen Hilhorst is a fanstastic luthier : making doubletop with a unique philosophy aiming at producing a huge sound with the best tonal quality. Whereas doubletop are usually very light, his doubletops are heavy with a body made in a view to favor the top to vibrate. A unique guitar choosen by a fantastic player Remi Boucher.. to be discovered
The first impression when playing the guitar, is the huge sound produced by the guitar. More like Piano than a guitar. The notes are thick and creamy with some brightness due to the spruce top and bracing. The sustain last for ever. The string separation perfect. Definitly that is an amazing instrument. I am not a big fan of soundport, but this time because the sound is so huge, the sound port really give you a real return on how the guitar sounds for the public.
Here are some comments of Jeroen on his building philosophy :
‘The soundboard is an optimum of strength, weight ansd shape to make it vibrate as efficiently as possible.
All the construction of the rest of the guitar is extremely stiff in order not to loose any vibration to the top:
– the neck is made of ebony and reinfocred with graphite
– the body is reinforced with an ebony centerbrace
– the back is reinforced with cedar
– the sides are reinforced with a layer of indian rosewood
– there is a beech reinforcement around the soundboard
– the tuners have aluminium rollers and wide base plates.
A a consequence, this contributes to focuse the energy of plucking the strings in the soundboard. The loss of energy in the neck, and the body is as little as possible.
The guitar features:
– an levated fingerboard
– an armrests
– 20th fret
– compensation saddle string per string”